Dream House

I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford to build myself a new house (well...perhaps myself and the bank). Having been to several 3rd world countries and knowing that there are lots of people in the world who don't even have housing, I felt a few pangs of guilt about this. I had a decision to make: rehab the old or build new. The cost to rehab my old house was going to be substantial. It was October of 2009. My husband had passed away in August from liver cancer. I was in the depths of grief and sorrow. I needed a project. I decided that if I had to plunk down a lot of money anyway, it was better to build new. I also decided that if I was going to build new, I was going to build green. My new house will be both beautiful and "green". I will share the journey and the adventure with you.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Slow Progress






Lumber that will be used in building the house is FSC  (Forest Stewardship Council) certified:  meaning that the lumber is obtained from a responsibly managed forest. FSC certified forests are grown and managed in a way that protects water quality and wildlife habitat. Once the trees are cut, they are promptly replanted. 
Not all lumber companies carry this type of lumber, so have your builder check. Ours was obtained from Torborg's Lumber in Waupaca, WI.  


    With projects like a house, I prefer a slow and steady kind of pace. I can tell, however, that with this house project there will be a mad dash to the finish in the next couple of months. The foundation was laid at the end of December, and there was a long pause between then and now; appoximately 2 months. OK...so there was a lot of snow and subzero temperatures and Jamey was finishing another house. As more than one person has said to me, "Is this going to a be an extreme home makeover project (they do those in a week)"? I am beginning to think so. The goal is a house that is ready for the Spring parade of homes during the last week of April. I am trying to avoid an ulcer by affirming that I am not in control, and surrundering the project to a Higher Power. Jamey is cool, calm and collected and does not seem concerned that we have only 2 months to build a large, and what looks to me to be, a rather complicated house. As they say in my yoga class, "BREATHE". Progress has been made over the last few days, however, as you will see from the pictures. There is hope in my heart that the walls will be up soon.
     My preference for slowness in house building contrasts with my speed on the road. My neices were in the car behind me the other day. They gleefully told me when they got home (I live with them) that I was "speed demon". Their dad, Jeff, was happy that I was providing entertainment for them during the drive, as they made commentary about my speed while I went ahead of them and beat them home. The other day, too, I was driving to a conference in LaCrosse. I was on a lonely stretch of road on Hwy. 21 and was absentmindedly listening to NPR and driving along until I saw those somewhat familiar red and blue flashing lights in my rear view mirror. Its the only time in my life that I feel like a criminal. I am an otherwise model citizen. 2 weeks prior to this, I had just purchased new car insurance. I had been proud of myself, when I signed up for it, that it had been over a year since I had gotten a speeding ticket (probably because I only have to drive a few miles to go to work now). "Is there a reason you were speeding today?" he said. "No," I said sheepishly. In the past, when I was a midwife, I occasionally had a legitimate reason for going fast, such as getting to a delivery. "Do you know how fast you were going?" "Ummm, no. Unfortunately, I was not paying attention." (I usually try the honest route.) "Well, it was 68 miles per hour. You are supposed to be going 55 miles per hour."  So I handed over my license and insurance card to the state police officer.  My heart sank at the thought of getting an expensive speeding ticket when I have all these other expenses to pay for in building my new house, and, so soon after starting with a new insurance company. I sent a fervent prayer heavenward that I would be spared and forgiven. He came back, handed back the license, and said "I am just going to give you a verbal warning this time." I replied with overwhelming gratitude in my voice, "Thank you, officer, I will put on my cruise control now." Whew! It felt so good to be spared. I am betting we'll need to be over the speed limit to finish up on this house project though!

1 comment:

  1. Funny Mom...nice blog, especially like the speeding ticket part

    ReplyDelete